Reserves are supplementary course materials that Duke faculty and staff put on hold, with limited circulation periods, for patrons to use. These materials are housed both at the circulation / service desks of the Duke University Libraries and online through an electronic reserve system (electronic reserves use the PDF file format).*
- Find a book or film on Reserve at Lilly Library
- Find Reserve materials at the Music Library
- Find Top Textbooks on Reserve in Perkins and Lilly Libraries.
- Request that a textbook be purchased for reserves at the Perkins, Lilly or Music Library.
Place Items on Reserve
There is one form for all formats/locations
- Allow at least three work days to process your requests. Requests are normally processed on a first-in / first-worked policy. Material may be submitted throughout the semester. However, please note that if you submit your request(s) within a few days of the start of semester, staff may not be able to fulfill your Reserve needs in time for start of classes.
- Identify materials on your online Reserve form as on your syllabus. Please ensure a complete bibliographic citation is provided.
- Staff remove Reserve materials at the end of every semester. Please email reserves staff to re-activate a course reserve list.
- See location-specific information for Lilly Library Reserves
- Articles or chapters may be requested from Document Delivery.
- We do not scan articles that are available on the Internet or via the library's electronic databases, but we will place appropriate URLs of the articles on E-Reserve.
- In consideration of the fair use exception to U.S. copyright law, we can place limited portions of a work on E-Reserve. For more information about copyright law, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books & Instructor's Materials
- You may place personal copies of materials on Reserve. Please include your name and campus box number when submitting personal materials. (We are not responsible for personal books that are damaged or lost.
- We cannot place the following materials on Reserve: coursepacks, reference books or materials from the Medical Center Library, Law Library, TRLN SHARE / ILL, or Ford Library.
- We will purchase books or textbooks for the Reserve collections when necessary. Please allow extra time for ordering, shipping and cataloging when an item must be purchased.
*NOTICE: The information stored in the Electronic Reserves database is protected under the Copyright Laws of the United States (Title 17 U.S. Code) governing the making of photocopies of copyrighted material. The person using this system is liable for any infringement. For more in-depth information see Access to Copyrighted Materials on Reserve